Monday, April 20, 2020

To Thine Own Self Be True

{Documenting Life during the Covid-19 Quarantine}

You guys, I've definitely reached the point where the days are all just the same and things are either feeling hopeful or bleak, depending on your point of view -- or maybe how well you've done at avoiding the news.

Look at those cuties ready for LiveStreamed Mass.

I'm sort of over everything. Any novelty that this situation once held has worn off. Any sense of Lenten penance that it provided ended with the coming of Easter.

And yet, here we are. And whatever comes next, I'm pretty sure, is going to look very different than what we once had. This is not a battle. This is war.

Which means that self-knowledge is more important than ever.

I know that I need to be one cup of coffee in and have spent some time in prayer before my kids start scrambling down the stairs. I definitely need this, more than ever, even if it seems ridiculous when there is nowhere to be and no rush to get there.

I know that I am a get dressed and ready person. Dressed might be jeans and a t-shirt. Ready might be a ponytail and a smidge of mascara. But dressed and ready it is. 

I know that books are my jam. So we read. A lot. Reading aloud to my big kids is the best part of quarantine.

I know that crafts and I don't mix, so . . . I just don't. 

I know that I love being in the kitchen, so we bake and cook. I've tried a couple of new recipes and made some old favorites. My insistence on meal planning certainly comes in handy in these strange and uncertain days.

I know that in times of uncertainty, kids needs lots of love and security, so I do my best to provide them with plenty of hugs and snuggles and reassurance. And maybe a stray chocolate chip cookie.

I know that God is in charge, so I pray. 

I know that He is merciful, so I trust, even when it is hard.

At least I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.