Monday, June 8, 2015

In Thanksgiving (In June)

Eucharist means Thanksgiving.

We were reminded of that yesterday morning at Mass, as our priest reflected on the Eucharist in celebration of Corpus Christi -- the Body and Blood of Christ. He suggested that, during Mass, as we prayed, and as we fight the distractions that can make focusing on Mass so difficult, we offer our prayers of thanksgiving for the blessings in our lives.

And really, I am so blessed.

It's something I try to remember frequently, but I need to remember it constantly. And not just in November.

I am so blessed.

I have clean water. I have a lovely house in a safe neighborhood with a fully equipped, fully functioning western kitchen. I have food to cook and the means to buy it. We have clothes on our backs and shoes on our feet. We have more: so many luxuries that we don't even remember that they are luxuries anymore -- dishwasher, washing machine, central heating and cooling, cars, televisions, computers, telephones -- tools that are the stuff of modern life, yes, but in truth, they are luxuries. 

I have the best family -- an incredible husband; two beautiful, healthy children; extended family and friends who love me and miss me. I love all of them more than they can know. 

Little Blessings

I have faith. That alone means more to me than words can express.

Today, instead of grumbling through my chores, sighing when asked another question, or whining about my imperfect kitchen, I pray that I give thanks for the ability to do my chores (and all that entails), for my healthy, developmentally normal, inquisitive children, and for my perfectly imperfect kitchen. I take so much for granted. 

I need to practice gratitude and giving thanks where it is due. And to God goes all the glory. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.