Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Praying

I wrote about four drafts yesterday. I started another this morning, but I feel like I need to hit publish on this before my mind can sift through the rest.

For the second time in less than two years, my small hometown is facing tragedy of great proportions.

I didn't know Kayla Mueller personally. But Prescott is a 3-degrees of separation town. My dad knows some members of her family. That's close enough for me to for me to feel rocked by the news of her death. Too close. Too close for comfort.

There is evil in the world. People might try to whitewash it or qualify it, but the truth is that there is evil in the world. When I first accepted that fact -- like really, truly accepted it -- I felt crippled. What could I do?

But now? Now I know.

I can pray. I can hit my knees and pray like it means something. Because it does. For the repose of Kayla Mueller's soul. For her family. For our country. For our allies. For our enemies. For her captors. For the still-murky circumstances that led to her death, and for those that caused it. For those still being held captive. For peace. For a world where peace is possible.

Maybe it is too much to ask for in this life, but I have faith in God, through whom all things are possible.

For Kayla all all the faithful departed: Eternal rest grant unto them, oh Lord and let perpetual light shine upon them.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.