Monday, February 23, 2015

Transformation! {Kitchen Update}

Even though I am the least crafty person ever, and even though my project barely qualifies as crafty, I'm linking up with Ana, because I can.

For the uninitiated, when we moved into our house in Wichita last summer, it included this horrible, horrible sight:


From the moment I laid eyes on the Green Monster, I said that the first thing I was going to do was paint it. Well, once I got here, that promise got delayed by: 1) other painting projects, 2) indecision about what color to use, and 3) the realization that the whole kitchen needed paint, not just the Wall O Doom.

Finally, a few weekends ago, Charles announced that we were doing the kitchen and forced me to (finally!) make a decision about paint. I could not have been more thrilled with the outcome!


Which left unanswered the question of what I wanted to put on the wall.

Meanwhile . . . I know I've mentioned before that I saw the sunrise through our kitchen window on Christmas morning. I made this little number, because it put the Canticle of Zechariah in my head.


Ever since then, I've been noticing the sunrise in the mornings. I've been appreciating the dawn and seeing Christ in it, opening my heart to God first thing in the morning in a way I never have before. I felt called to say the Morning Offering. Problem? I don't actually have it memorized. So, I would go fumbling through my phone, getting distracted more often than not.

Solution? Kendra's printables! I decided to print and frame the Morning Offering. I also decided to put up a copy of her Grace Before Meals, because I wanted to have it up in our kitchen somewhere. Once I got those hung, I finally felt inspired to put stuff up on Zee Vall.

Fancy me took a plain, cheap blackboard and put lots and lots of coats of silver craft paint on the frame. In retrospect, I should have either tackled my fear of spray paint or used a layer of a dark paint under my silver, but live, learn and craft on. Or something like that. I used a chalkboard marker to put "Today" in fancy-ish letters and add "ora pro nobis" at the bottom. In the middle, I update with what's for dinner and what we're up to for the day. I add a saint at the bottom, and done. It takes about 2 minutes a day. (Thanks, Grandma, for the amazing calendar that has saints every day! It makes daily saint finding a breeze!!)


Overall, I'm super pleased with how the wall turned out and absolutely love how I'm using the chalkboard. It makes me think about my day, and helps me be a bit more intentional. I very, very purposefully put the Morning Offering right by the coffee pot. It ensures that it is one of the first things I see every morning and encourages me to take a moment to pray it as I start my day. One of the best decisions I've made.

Keurig pictured, but the main coffee pot is right next to it.

(Side note: My poor girl came down with a bug yesterday, so we're laying low again today and, hopefully, getting better. Please pray she recovers quickly and that none of the rest of us get her bug.)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.