Friday, July 19, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Vol. 30

Joining Jen for 7 Quick Takes.


1. Last night, Charles and I were participating in the ultimate act of partnership -- I was taking out the trash while he gathered recyclables -- when I saw a spark of light. Was it? No. Then again. Magic. Ok, lightening bugs. When we arrived in STL a couple of weeks ago, we were disappointed not to see any. But last night, we found them flickering around. I ran inside, and squealed, "Honey! Fireflies!" I'm sure I sounded like I was 5 (and there really weren't that many), but I didn't care. I was so excited.

Magic - Via

2. As an aside, ladies, if you're still on the hunt, find someone who will gather the recyclables. Added bonus if he pulls a Charles and sneaks into the baby's room to get the (dirty) diapers to take out. Hallie linked this article in her 5 Favorites on Wednesday, and Haley could not be more right. No flowers, chocolates or promises you don't intend to keep (Beauty and the Beast? Anyone? I'll stop.) are more romantic and sexy than simple, daily acts of service from your beloved.

3.  Anyway, while we're standing there feeling like 5-year-olds as we marvel at the lightening bugs, we see a possum lumbering across the neighbor's yard. I squealed in delight and announced that I felt like I was living in a fairy tale.


Via - A Google image search for "possum" turns up lots of creepy stuff if you're so inclined.

4. For reals, yo, I hope that, however tough life may be or how easy it can be to become overwhelmed or jaded or cynical or whatever, I never lose my ability to be delighted in one way or another.

5. Clare is a lot of things, but eager to walk is not one of them. I'm pretending not to be worried/annoyed/whatever. And I know that she still has plenty of time. And I know that once she's walking, she'll be alllllll over. But still, the mama in me sees my smart, strong, girl who is totally capable of taking a step or two and really wants her to let go. Plus, I don't want to feel like I'm holding her back just because I want to hang on to her babyhood as long as I can. No conclusion. Just thoughts.

6. One thing she is eager to do is self-feed. No problem when she's getting bites of fruits and veggies and whatnot, since she's been doing it all along. Bigger problem when it comes to yogurt and the like. We're entering the gloriously messy phase of "learning to use utensils." She also wants to control her own plate/bowl, mostly so she can dump its contents and then discard it on the floor. "Phsaw, Mom, that bowl and that peach is not good enough for Princess Me." Anyway, this week, I've been giving her the empty bowl at the end of a meal to play with and yesterday, she actually put her strawberries back into her bowl and then took them out herself to put on the tray! Progress?

Mmmm...breakfast

7. If you're not already, please keep Dwija in your prayers. I cannot.even.imagine.

Have a lovely weekend!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.