Wednesday, August 21, 2013

5 Favorites, Volume 16 (Carbalicious)

So there is a draft of this post, started yesterday, in which my whine escalates to (at least) level 11/10. And while I don't mind whining about Clare's crack of dawn antics or musing on her decision to throw strawberries across the kitchen, I don't really want to feed my own bad mood with that level of complainery. I'm going with this, instead, and plan to turn the other post into something at least a tad bit more thoughtful.


Even though today is looking brighter (thanks, ironically, to cloud cover), my Five Favorites were still inspired by my homesickness. Yes, friends, today's favorites are all about the carbs, 'cause nothing says comfort like carbs. And my palette knows no seasons (even when I force it to eat semi-seasonally).

1. French baguettes -- there is nothing, nothing better that a warm, crusty French baguette. With butter, bien sur. It takes my heart and palette on a direct flight to the land of bread, cheese and guiltless bread consumption. La vie belle. 


2. Mac & Cheese -- any kind, any time, any where. Ol' fashioned Kraft dinner? Sure. Scrumptious homemade gooey cheeseyness? Bring.it.on.

Via
3. Sweet potatoes -- while my Southern girl is buried a couple of generations back on my dad's side (hey, my grandpa was born in North Carolina! It counts!), the sweet potato in all its delicious forms is the "better" carb of adulthood, but is still yummy and delicious. And amazing as fries.

Via

4. French Fries -- speaking of fries, French is clearly the pinnacle of potato preparations. I mean, I enjoy a good baked potato, soup, or mash with the rest of 'em, but there is something irresistible about a crispy, salty fry. I take 'em with ketchup, but I won't fault you your condiment of choice.

Via

5.Corn on the cob -- bonus points if you see the stalk where it grew. Super duper bonus points if you go from stalk to pot without using transportation. It has been too long since I've had really good corn on the cob, but oh, the sweet, buttery, silk-in-your-teeth goodness!!

Via

As always, visit Hallie for more!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Love all of these! (well, maybe not the sweet potatoes). But, if you were close I'd walk some corn to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great. Now I'm starving. I couldn't agree more on especially # 1 and # 2. Yuuuuummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butter on a baguette is awesome, especially since I can think back on "Clare, I'm eating buttery spread on this baguette for you! I love you that much!!" every time I see buttery spread and chuckle.

    ReplyDelete

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.