Friday, August 16, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Vol. 33





1. Yesterday was one of those days where nothing seems to go quite according to plan. Since I'm a person who likes my day to go at least a little, teeny, tiny bit according to plan, it turned frustrating. I think everything worked out okay in the end, just the getting there was, ummmm, unplanned.

2. The biggest headache of my week has been this plumbing problem at the house. Very long story short, the basement apartment's bathroom sink is not draining/overflowing. It is, thankfully, only affected by the two bathroom sinks -- theirs and ours -- so the bathroom sinks are out of commission. I've spoken to actual plumbers/the plumbing contractors hired by our landlord (who, have I mentioned, is in China?!?). First it was a bigger job than anticipated and will require pipe cutting and refitting. Then another job got behind. Then only one particular plumber is allowed to do the job and he, oh, just happens to be on vacation this week. We're scheduled for Monday morning, but, at this point, I'm not holding my breath. I'm extra frustrated because I'm the only person home during the day (besides Clare), so it's become my problem/my headache. Plus, I'm letting a stranger into someone else's living space, which is never exactly comfortable, ya know?!?

3. Thanks to #1 and things not going according to plan, we ended up at a Russian Byzantine Divine Liturgy last night. Charles' brother and his son frequently attend Ruthenian Byzantine Divine Liturgy, so we weren't concerned. Big Mistake. There were like 10 people there, including us, so we stuck out like a sore gangrenous thumb. We didn't know what to do, had trouble following along, even with our books. And Charles and I were both anxious, because situations like that are not our cups of tea. At least I got to use the baby-holding shield a good portion of the time. Obligation completed? Check. New experience? Check. Super spiritual, fulfilling Mass? Not so much.

4. For anyone who didn't know, in addition to the "normal" Latin Rite or Roman Catholic Church that most of us Westerners are familiar with, there are numerous Rites who are loyal to the Bishop of Rome (the Pope), but who use their own, historical, liturgical practices, their own disciplines, etc. Wikipedia, if you're interested.

5. Clare is turning into a monkey. I am not surprised, and she came by it naturally, since I always enjoyed a good climb/daredevil balance beam walk when I was younger, but I'm pretty sure that the furniture climbing/side-peering-over is going to give me a heart attack.


6. We have two weeks left in Denver, and I'm promising to make the most of it and enjoy it, instead of focusing on what I have at home and not here. Those things include but are not limited to: bakeware, a stove with multiple working burners, a bed that is one mattress (not two twins pushed together), and no (known) plumbing issues.

7. Andi's little boy is getting baptized tomorrow, and I'm so insanely excited for him. I'm also extremely sad that I won't get to be there, but I'll be praying my heart out for them all this weekend! So much love. Welcome to the Church, lil S!!!

Have a lovely, lovely weekend! Visit Jennifer Fulwiler for more.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Not that your current location is all roses or anything:) But I am curious how are you finding housing for these away rotations? We are planning on hitting to road next year as a family for away rotations too. I assumed we would be staying at extended stay hotels...but I am open to other options.

    ReplyDelete

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.