Wednesday, October 9, 2013

5 Favorites, Vol. 19

Joining Hallie and the Favoriteers for five of my favorites this week. Which, again, are all about food.


1. Winter squash. I've mentioned before that I am a great devotee of the gourd family. I love summer squash, especially zucchini, but I also love, love, love winter squash. Butternut. Acorn. Spaghetti. Even trendy ol' pumpkin.

Via

2. Soup. I love it. I always have, though my tastes have diversified over the years. Plus, it's a fantastic, easy, tasty way to add veggies to your diet. I particularly love homemade soup -- more flavor, less sodium -- though there are a few varieties I'm still working to perfect (cream of broccoli, I'm looking at you). But with fall and winter coming on, it has me thinking soup, even more than usual.

Via

3. What is the perfect way to combine #1 and #2? Butternut squash soup, of course. Preferably made by roasting my own squash with plenty of garlic and using my own, frozen chicken broth. Add some apples and onions and seasonings. Blend. Enjoy with bread. The fresher and hotter the better. So much yum!!

Via

4. While I'm talking obsessively about food, I must mention the Food Network. It's my favorite background noise, but I prefer the TV off or being actively watched when the baby is up, so I really enjoy and savor it when I do have a few minutes to drool/question the hosts' choices/pick up an idea or technique or two.

Via

5. Something not food related . . . oh, who am I kidding?!? I'm pregnant and have reached my "lumberjack appetite" phase. Food is on my mind, and one odd-for-me craving lately has been baked potatoes. Loaded, if possible. Thanks.

Via

Visit Hallie for more, less caloric, favorites. :)

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Wait I didn't realize you were pregnant too! Yay congrats :) Just started following you on bloglovin - love your blog. I too am a soup lover and that baked potato looks to.die.for.

    ReplyDelete

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.