Thursday, October 3, 2013

Roots and Wings

It has been said that the job of a parent is to give their child roots and wings. This is increasingly difficult, I think, in our anti-family, helicopter, disjointed, uprooted culture. Yet, somehow, it struck me that, as a parent, this is exactly my philosophy. And the only parenting philosophy that I adhere to.

Via

I strive to give my children:

Roots: grounded deeply in the Faith. We belong to a universal Church, one where we can find a home anywhere in the world and where the prayer of the Church, the comfort of the Mass, and the strength of the Eucharist are equally true in any city, any nation, any language.

Roots: bound up in the love of family, trusting that Mama and Daddy will always be there when they are needed. Knowledge that our love is unconditional. That we are a safe haven to which our children may always return.

Roots: that come from knowing who you are, what you stand for, and what your real purpose in this life is.

Wings: to be unafraid of being who they are, and standing up for what they believe, even when it is unpopular.

Wings: with a sense of independence and adventure.

Wings: to pursue truth, beauty, life, and God, wherever they may lead. Especially God.

I hope, when I look back, I have raised children with wings to fly, and roots to lead them home. 

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Such a beautiful parenting philosophy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.