Friday, January 24, 2014

7 Quick Takes, Vol. 51

Joining Jen.


1. No one is going anywhere out of town this weekend. No one at all. Can I just mention how freaking wonderful and glorious that is?!? Now that that's out of the way . . .

2. The Olympics start 2 weeks from today!! I haven't had the opportunity to talk about it here, but I am a pretty hard-core Olympics-phile (Olympiphile, if you will), and this particular Games brings out all of the things I love about the Olympics. I generally like the winter Games better than summer, though I have fond memories of the London 2012 Games. The timing was perfect, as I had a newborn, and something to watch 24 hours a day for a couple of weeks while we nursed 24 hours a day (or something like that). All of which is a loooong way of saying that I'm very excited and expect to be posting more on the subject in the next few weeks.

Patriotic Opening Ceremonies outfit

3.I'm pleased to have my first two "kids say the darndest things" to share today. Posterity, people. Posterity.

Me: What does a kitty-cat say?
Clare: Meow!
Me: What does a cow say?
Clare: Moo Moo!!!
(etc.)
Me: What does a baby say?
Clare: Goo goo gah!
Me: What does a cowboy say?
Clare: Goo goo goo goo goo gah . . . yee haw!! Cwown! (Clown)

Charles: Say "love you, Daddy!"
Clare: Wuv woo . . . Mommy! (Covers her mouth and laughs maniacally)

4. Clare has developed a real affinity for Dr. Seuss. I'd guess on average, I read Dr. Seuss books 5 times a day (often the same one that happens to be her favorite du jour). I'm pretty sure her poor brother will either arrive with a natural love for or hatred of The Can in the Hat. I'm 100% sure that any potential love will turn to hatred after the 3rd or 4th time his sister thwacks him on the head, interrupting a perfectly good breastfeeding session, with her demands to "wead."

Via

5. Meanwhile, in learning to parent a toddler land (also known as "tales of things I fear will happen (will definitely happen?) while I'm breastfeeding the newbie"), the table has become a real attractive nuisance for Miss Clare. Go after contraband (for babies) objects? Check. Climb chairs? Check. Climb on table? Check? Climb on chairs while Mama does the dishes (thinking you're reading nicely like you were 2 minutes ago) to reach for a cell phone and/or bottle of Coke and knock yourself and the soda and the (thankfully very well protected) cell phone into a big puddle of mess on the floor? Check.

It's gotta be the allure of the scrunchie.

6. There was lots and lots of lovely stuff written Wednesday in light of the March for Life and anniversary of Roe v. Wade, but I was particularly moved by this piece from Heather. If you didn't read it, you need to.

7. 30 weeks today. April sounds like it's foooooooorever away, but 10ish weeks sounds crazy close. I'm still feeling pretty good, minus the routine discomfort. I'm getting to the point where pants are universally uncomfortable in one way or another, but fortunately, it has been a mild winter, even for Arizona (Sorry, non-West Coast peeps; if it makes you feel better, we are always in need of rain over here!), so I'm getting away with typing this (on Thursday) in a maxi skirt. I may well be torturing you with a pic a week for the duration, so consider yourselves warned, internet land. :)

From Wednesday, so 29w5d.

Have a lovely weekend!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.