Thursday, January 31, 2013

La Cucina

When it comes to DIY, I'm more wanna be than Queen Bee. Seriously, projects always seem to look better in my head (or on Pinterest) than the product.

Luckily, my husband is more gifted than I am in the handy department. The cabinets throughout our house have been the wrong side of ugly since I moved in 6 years ago. Charles was inspired by a visit to his sister last summer. We experimented with the tiny cabinet in the hall bath, moved onto the bigger cabinet bank in the master.

Then, at 6 in the a on Saturday, with rain pouring and me climbing back under the covers, Little finally asleep again, he decided that the time had come to tackle the big bad kitchen. Not being totally crazy, only the lower cabinets were done on this go-round, but now the uppers look even worse, so I'm sure they'll get the fix-up sometime soonish.

Step 1: remove cabinet doors, empty drawers and fronts of cabinets, deglaze

All our stuff out for everyone to see

Step 2: paint

So much better already

Step 3: glaze with rustic stain-y stuff (thanks Rustoleum)


Step 4: top coat (see: I did help!)

Yes, I always wear the grey cardi-thing. And yes, those are gingerbread pj pants.
Step 5: reassemble (corner cabinet hinge madness and all!)

Voila!
I cannot express how happy we are with the outcome. It is so much more modern (yet rustic) and homey and warm. It's like a breath of fresh air every time we grab a spoon or open a cabinet door. Really. Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.