Thursday, February 7, 2013

Yummy Green Chile Pork Stew

I lay no claim to inventing this dish, but I did put it together by my own playing, so [insert book-like disclaimer that any similarities to other things is purely coincidental]. I came up with it looking for inspiration for something to do with a pork roast oh these many years ago and cobbling ingredients together. Charles and I both love it, so it would qualify as a family favorite.

My favorite, favorite, favorite thing in the world to make is stew in the Dutch oven. Because it requires some prep (but not too much), veggie chopping (fun! no, really!) and a lot of cooking time (but totally hands-off!), I generally only do it on Sundays. This was a Tuesday treat, though, thanks to this whole psych lets Charles off at like 3 thing! Whee!

Not the time, the temp!

 First, preheat the oven to something lowish. I like 325. It will be a few minutes before you put food in the oven, but this way, it's hot when that time comes. Also, you could totally do this in the slow cooker. I have. It just isn't as good or rich or tender. But it is still really good. 



Second, assemble the goods.

The assemblage.




1ish lb of pork stew meat (or pork roast cut-up for stew. I use whatever I have/get a deal on)
2 medium onions
2 medium sweet potatoes
garlic
1 small can green chile
1 small can hominy
salt
pepper
cumin
paprika
garlic powder
onion powder
canola oil
corn starch

This makes a slightly spicy stew, but I live in Arizona, so my definition of slightly spicy might be different than yours. Adjust accordingly. Also, feel free to be fancy and use the real thing. I'm just not fond of chile chopping, and I'm not good at it, so...

I really do like chopping veggies.



Third, prep the veg by giving the sweet potatoes and onions a peel and rough chop. If you're using fresh garlic, about a couple of cloves. I'm lazy and use a good spoonful of the pre-chopped jarred stuff. Drain and rinse the hominy. Drain the top of the chile liquid.

Obviously still not done

Fourth, pat the meat dry with a paper towel. Salt and pepper it. Brown it in a tablespoon or so of canola oil. This is my least favorite part. I have as much patience for browning meat as a hungry newborn.

Veg in pot

Fifth, add the veg and water to the top of the veg, but don't over-fill. You could use part or all chicken stock here, but I find that with the long cook time, it's not necessary. The pork imparts a meaty flavor of its own.

Seasonings also in pot

Sixth, season to taste. I use salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic and onion powders (even with the real things). Add 2 tablespoons of corn starch to thicken the broth without the lumpiness of flour (or gluten if you're the rolling without it type).

Not boiling yet!

Seventh, stir together and bring to a boil on the stove top.

My Le Creuset still has its lame plastic handle, so I have to cover it with foil to keep meltage away.

Eighth, cover and throw (Try really throwing a full Dutch oven. I dare you.) into the oven for 3 hours give or take.

Went in at 3:15, came out at 6:20.
Bread not pictured.



Finally, enjoy! I like a good chunk of French bread with my stew, but that's probably the wanna-be Frenchie in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments happen, too. I'd love to hear yours.